Creamy warm risotto, loaded with roasted garlic and sliced mushrooms.
This risotto is hearty, it can be a side dish or a main dish.
roast a bunch of garlic-I will usually roast 20-30 cloves of garlic at a time and use a bit at a time. My bit is most likely more than most normal people.
You can use freshly grated garlic if you don’t have time to roast any before you start cooking.
2 tblsp olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1 and 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms-what ever type you prefer- I use crimini mushrooms-they seem meatier to me.
1 cup risotto
4 cups of warm broth-any kind you like- on this recipe I use whatever was already open and in the refrigerator.
( if you don’t quite have 4 cups of broth you can add water to equal the 4 cups.)
2 tblsp butter ( do not use margarine)
1/2 -3/4 cup shaved parmesan- and more for the top.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Start with a deep fry pan, heat the olive oil on a slightly higher than medium heat. (my electric is at 6ish)
2. Add the celery and mushrooms and saute for about 6-7 minutes. (I add a little salt and pepper now-but not too much)
3. Add the risotto and stir together to make sure the olive oil coats the risotto, add the garlic now.
4. The risotto will begin to cook and you can smell a slightly nutty aroma.
5. While that is cooking, heat the broth to more than warm but not quite hot. ( I use a microwave to do this as it takes all of 3 minutes)
6. So now its time to start adding the warm broth to the risotto, (look at the clock- it will be just about 18 minutes from the time you start to add the liquid) add about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir it, let it bubble, stir, add more liquid, stir, bubble, stir, add, ya get the picture.
7. Let the liquid absorb between adding and the stirring.
8. The risotto will begin to swell, at about 16 minutes in I will pull a piece out and check the tenderness.
(I add a little more salt and pepper now…)
9. If its almost tender, let the rest of the broth be absorbed, but don’t let it get dry.
10. This is about the time to add the butter.
11. Keep stirring gently. After the butter is melted and incorporated it will look begin to be thicker and creamier.
12. Add the Parmesan….
You can turn off the burner and stir in the cheese. Let sit for a couple minutes and its ready.
Serves about 4-6 people
Time: 5 minute to prep. 25 minutes to cook
Total time: 30 minutes